Friday 21 October 2011

Teacher Librarian as Leader - Communication

Mr. Savage (1989) seemed to believe that only men are administrators! With a sexist delivery, Savage defined communication, described the means of communication, the types of communication (including intentional communication and unintentional) and gave examples of rumours.
Mackay (1999) reinforced the commonly held idea that good listening leads to and enables good communication. His list of six steps towards negotiated settlement provided a useful tool to effective communicating both sides of the conflict.
Steven Cohen’s (2002) seven pillars of negotiational wisdom are:
1.      Relationship
2.      Interests
3.      BATNA – Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement
4.      Creativity
5.      Fairness
6.      Commitment
7.      Communication
People remember how they’ve been treated… I know I definitely do, so I do unto others as I would have them do unto me.
I picked up an excellent saying in Cohen’s article: “God gave us two ears and one mouth and we should use them in that ratio” (p. 184). The Manager’s Checklist is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment